Thursday, August 28, 2008

New Building and Close Calls...

Dark days at Pandemic Studios. Sadly, our project got cancelled this week. There were a few reasons going around as to why, and you might be able to pick up the info on the rumor mill from Kotaku but, as an NDA'd employee I am not going to discuss the project or the reasons. All I know is having a project ripped out from under you sucks.



Pandemic was actually very cool about it all. They have spent alot of money, and taken a lot of time to build their team and they have done just about everything they can to keep it in tact. Some team members are being moved to another, smaller team in-house, some are being flown to Los Angeles to help out on other projects that need extra hands for the next four months. Sadly, some were deemed redundant and had to be let go and yesterday was dark Thursday.

I had a meeting with the producers on Monday afternoon and was told that I would be moved to the team in house and that I was pretty much safe. I got really lucky. I will be working on a smaller team that seems to be very organized and I am excited about the project and working with some of the new and familiar faces. Thanks to Steve for requesting me by name.


I have never been on a team that has been broken up and it was an unpleasant experience. Yestrday, I was working away and a producer came over and grabbed the guy sitting next to me. "Can I talk to you for a minute"? I thought nothing of it until about five minutes later someone from HR came up and grabbed his backpack and cigarettes. I never saw him again. Even though I knew I was safe I started to panic a bit and shuddered everytime I saw the producer or HR girl walk by. All in all, they kept the lay offs to a minimum and I am thankful for that. It is just sad to see a good team broken up but it was totally out of Pandemics control and I thank them for handling it as well as they did. Good company.


So, with that out of the way. We are moving into our new, modernized building on Tuesday. We are packing up our desks today and will be off Monday. By Tuesday it will be a new team and new domain. The nice thing is that it is right around the corner of our current location which is in a great neighborhood.
The new building is pictured above and the other shot is just a magnificent colored sky from the other night. Sometime I will do a post strictly on the evening sky here which always seems to be a different color and spectacular none the less...
Still kicking.

2 comments:

Gina Kadlec said...

Holy Canoly Batman!!! I'm so gald you made it though! That would have sucked to move allllll the way accross the ocean only to have to move back so quickly. Although I'm sure there are many people here who would love to have you back. At least you kept your job. :)

gio said...

be like bamboo my friend...glad you made the cut.