Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sydney Day 1












Mariana and I took our maiden voyage to Sydney this weekend. I am no Magellan but have been lucky enough to have visited some world class cities in my time; Mexico City, Paris, Amsterdam, San Francisco, amongst others, and now can add Sydney to the list. I have to mention as well that from what I have seen, Sydney can hang with the best of them. No kidding, it was that good.







Thursday got off to a shaky start when we got to the airport a few minutes late and "missed" our flight. "Missed" being a loose term when at an Australian airport. We got there a bit late for us but had about thirty minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave. Sadly, according to Qantas, we had missed our flight. Funny, as the plane was still at the gate and was not scheduled to leave for thirty more minutes but we are not to argue. We were issued new tickets for the next flight that was to arrive in Sydney thirty minutes later than we had planned.











The flight was uneventful except for my splitting headache. I have just gotten over a nasty cold and my sinuses were still a problem with the altitude. After twenty minutes of preparing to catch my eyeballs if they shot out of their sockets, the plane descended, my head equalized, and I could bear to see again.





We got into Sydney, found the bags, got the train, and headed for the hotel. We stayed at the Raddison right in CBD, about a ten minute walk to Circular Quay, The Opera House and The Bridge. Kudos to Mariana for picking such a well located hotel.





We had tickets to a play that night, that left us with a couple of hours to kill so we decided to walk around and saw some sights and had a bite to eat and a drink. We walked down Pitt Street to Circular Quay and as we rounded the corner our jaws dropped open. I found that my jaw would drop many times on this trip as Sydney boasts some of the most dramatic scenery I have ever seen.




That night we went and saw the stage play of Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps at the Sydney Opera House. It was a small production with four cast members in total but playing about 110 roles. It was well acted and funny and we had a really nice time.





After the show we looked for a bite to eat. Apparently in Sydney on a Thursday night, every eatery closes at ten. Being ten thirty, we walked the streets desperately trying to find something open with food, saw tons of bars packed with people but eventually had to settle on a 24 hour slop joint. Yuck...







We ate something that resembled food and headed back to the hotel to get some rest for the next day.








No comments: