Thursday, January 3, 2008

NSW Surf Part 2

My favorite surf of the trip was the second day. We woke up and had a really good breakfast with a couple that was living in Melbourne. From there we headed off on our own and headed down to the legendary Lennox Head.

We took a look at it and although there was some swell about, the tide was a tad high and it was backing off quite a bit. You could sure see the potential, and from the pictures I have seen of it when it "is on", it looks to me like the Australian version of Jeffery's Bay, South Africa. It has been put on my short list of "must get it good at least once in my life". When I get a car and we get some good, clean swell, I will charge the three hour drive and get to it. I think will have to wait for the bigger boards to arrive though.

From there we headed further south. When we rounded the Lennox Headland there was a small valley that gave a quick view of the beach below and I caught a quick glimpse of a decent right wrapping around some rocks. "Hold it there!!!" I yelled and looked for the nearest turn off. It turned out to be Sharpe's Beach. A small rocky point with a good right that wraps into a small rock lined bay. The wave jacks up off the rocks for a steep take off then flatens out a tad and hits the inside reef for fun, racy little wave. We watched for a while and it was chest to head high and looked fun. I waited to watch a couple of guys paddle out as I could not figure out how to get out through the house sized boulders. It turned out that if you walked around the backside of the point there was a small keyhole through the rocks and with ten strokes you were in the lineup.

It was a really fun little wave and the best surf I have had so far in Australia. There were only a few people out and everyone was friendly enough. As the tide dropped the takeoff got a little faster and there was a rock on the inside that the wave would suck out over creating a nice little hollow section. The Nickster even got a little head dip too!

The water was clear and blue and a pod of dolphins swam nearby. The surroundings were stunning and it is by far the prettiest spot I have ever surfed.

Mariana got a couple of snaps of me paddling...

4 comments:

Ken and Marie said...

I thought you only wore that wetsuit for the boyz in San O

Gina Kadlec said...

I want to see pics of you standing up on the board!

Nick Vona said...

that wetsuit is the most comfortable suit ever and they are quite popular here...

gio said...

is that a beaver tail? happy 08!