Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Water





One evening in Byron we walked out to the lighthouse and checked out The Pass. The Pass is a surf spot that according to my surf guide book is more of a long board spot there are heaps of other spots and better spots around but this one is quite prominent. Being Christmas week, every surf spot in Byron was packed to capacity so I never actually surfed in town. Crowds aside, it is a beautiful place.

I am still getting used to the water and the changing colors. When it is overcast it has a grey, green tint to it and is clear but the real beauty occurs when the sun comes out and it turns into an electric blue. Most of you have seen water like this or even better depending on where you have traveled but I have not and it's my blog and I'll brag if I want to. If you have seen better water then start your own damn blog and leave mine alone.

There have been quite a few shark sightings in Byron and North New South Wales recently and one small attack a few weeks ago. They get Bull Sharks, White Tips and the odd Great White although I believe the Great Whites are more common in the south as the water is colder. There have never been a fatal attack in the area and when I surfed I never felt spooked or unsafe. It was far scarier surfing in Northern California than here and there have been more attacks there than here. Enough doom and gloom.

So, if you are ever looking for safe, clear, clean water than this is your place.

4 comments:

Ken and Marie said...

Nick, the surf spot you are speaking of off the lighthouse is Watego Bay or Watego Point and is a longboard spot. The point and middles work there with the right wind and swell.

The Pass is back in Byron, the south end of the bay next to the rocks. Its a pretty sick point. I've got picts of serious barrel action. I surfed it on a 4-5 foot day, it had the power of Huntington, really throwing over.

Ken and Marie said...

Here is a good site with Loc's
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia/NSW/North/index.html

Make sure you go down to Lennox - 15 to 20 km South of Byron. Its a cute quite town with a legendary surf spot. Along the beach is a good Thai restaurant and a bar with good beer and some live entertainment. I saw that one surfer with red shorts in Single fin Yellow - Nat's son play with his band. The guys name is slippin me.

Lennox point is on the south end of the bay. You will see first point, but have to hike the little path to get out to see 3rd point as i'm relating what i saw to Malibu....Its a really beautiful area - i would love to own a house in Lennox.

Ken and Marie said...

btw, does North NSW remind you of what California must have been like before it was built for 20 million people?

Nick Vona said...

I have been to Lennox Head, I checked it out and the tide was a bit high and not enough swell. I saw the potential and it is on my short list of places to make sure i get good. I surfed Sharpe's just south of that. It will be on my next post. We have had a big run of Cyclone swell and the beaches have been no-go but tomorrow the swell and winds are backing down enough to give it a go. Snapper and Burleigh should be six foot. I am renting a car tonight and will post pics...
I do remember the Watego's sign...I will e-mail you a picture of Byron Main Beach the day after we left