Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Crikey!!! Look at them lines!!!

I found Australia's version of Surfline called Coastal Watch. I have been scanning it every day for the last month or so in my spare time. They have tons of spots, great high res cams and local information. It has been a great resource and a focal point in getting a head start on orienting myself on the coastal layout.

It is winter there and from what I can tell, it is the off season for surf as it has only been 2-3 foot for weeks with only a couple of bumps. Until yesterday. A low pressure system has been parked over Fraser Island for the last few days and is literally chucking surf at the Queensland and New South Wales coasts. The weather has been woolly but the mornings look very good until the wind turns. Check out the picture on the right taken yesterday at Coolangatta.

I looked at all the points on The Goldie and they were going off. Crowds looked heavy at Snapper but Burleigh, Currumbin and even Kirra looked epic and manageable. The insane thing is that the beach breaks were GOING OFF and no one on them at all. From what I have heard, no one surfs them. It is hard to believe as they looked just as good as the pictures I have seen of Anglet or Landes in France or any other world class open beach break.

I am officially psyched (frothing at the mouth really) to go to Australia. It is hard that I will be 30-40 minutes from the surf but I have read that in summer, which happens to be cyclone season, the sun rises very early so if I can get out of bed at 5 or 5:30 in the morning, I can still sneak in some surf on the weekdays and be back in time to walk to work. Weekends will be spent driving the coast looking for more uninhabited points and towns and paradise on earth.

Crikey!

4 comments:

gio said...

Coolangata is an awsome point/river mouth that goes forever. there's also a peaky beach break on the south side of the point. reminded me of HB. I'm happy for you foo. we gotta do a Don Antonios run before you leave for OZ.

gio said...

if you can swing it I think Burleigh is your cup of tea. I'd definitely live there if I could. It's close to snapper, kirra on one side and the madness that's surfers pradise on the other. The Nev shop is near there too in case you snap a board and need a replacement.

Nick Vona said...

Thanks man,,,

I am really excited about it. I am going to have to live in Brisbane, the job is there and we are going to try and get by with only one car. I can get out to the surf a few times a week though.

Ken and Marie said...

That picture was sick dude.
I couldn't be happier for you.
You guys are going to love Australia, just
make sure on those road trips up the beach, hide
the surfboard under the blankets, so you can sneak a peak when the wife is looking the other way.