Monday, August 6, 2007

Sirius Dead

This week the good folks over at Sirius debuted the new Grateful Dead Channel on Sirius 17.
The format is great, interviews and music all day long with two uninterrupted, full shows at 9:00 and 3:00, each day. The Dead were one of the only (successful) bands that not only allowed recording of live shows by the fans but actually set aside space for them at the venues to set up. This means that for us relative late-comers, there is hundreds if not thousands of hours of great shows out there on tape and Sirius has many of them from the vault, bootleggers, and Dick's Picks.
Keep your ears perked up for the Harpur College, Binghamton, NY, 5/2/70 show... Good times.

I am starting to think that I was born to the wrong generation. I have a wide variety of music on my IPOD but i always come back to the old standards. Hendrix, Joplin, Cream, The Allman Brothers and so forth.
I was a let comer to the Dead. I had friends that listened to them back in the day but i thought they always sounded like a band that needed a tune up and just out of sync. As I came back to them again and again, I found that this is the trait that I like the most about The Dead. They played the same songs for years and years but every time was a little bit looser and never the same as the last.
Luckily, I was able to get to two shows before Jerry passed on and the band split up. They are still touring as The Dead and I should get out to see a show before I roll out.

IIf I had a time machine, I would love to have seen them from about 70-78...

I think we need a band like The Grateful Dead now, more than ever...








http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1179774750879

No comments: