Sunday, November 4, 2007

Don't Get Off the Boat Man!!!


On my way back to the city I saw the most amazing mountain formations I have ever seen. I had not noticed them on the way up as they were to my back. I was trying to snap pictures in the car but could never seem to get a good shot.

As luck would have it, I saw a turn off for a "lookout point" for these mountains. I had the time so I pulled off for a quick gander. I followed a lonely road for about a kilometer and just as I thought I was lost I came into a clearing with a gravel parking lot. I was the only one with exception of the highway, for miles. It was hot as it gets and kind of spooky to boot. A cement trail wound up a hill into some trees and out of site so I put on my back pack and headed up the trail.

The initial going was a bit rough but manageable in the 90 degree, oven like heat. I noticed some really fast ants running about but kept on going. A sign told me "lookout point 700m ahead".

Then came the flies. At first they were annoying and small but as I got farther they became bigger, faster and started to kamikaze my face and body. They would hit you with a force and it started to hurt. Their buzz sounded like a chain saw.

Walking faster now...

Now a big dragon fly like creature barley misses my head at about 30 mph.

Now I am almost running while flailing up the hill. I notice the ants are getting bigger and faster than before. Note: I was on a surf mission and I am in flip-flops, shorts and a t-shirt.

I have now had enough and I can see just enough of the view to get a picture, if I can just get around this tree... I stepped off the trail to get the shot and I looked down and saw the ground just teeming with big, fat, red, fast-as-hell-and-looking-agitated, ants that I am guessing were about 1/4 to 1/2 inches in length! Right then a wasp or something started hovering about my face, I'm out of here!

Now I am running down the trail the way I came and at a dead sprint. Wait, the Picture! I did not come all this way for nothing. Dammit, I must get the shot! I need TOTAL COVERAGE!!! I stopped, ran back up and leaned out over the ants nest and snapped a quick shot, the next one was at a run and the third was at a full gallop but I got the goods.

Just remember what yours truly goes through to get the you the 411.




1 comment:

Gina Kadlec said...

Huge wasps??? Crossing Brisbane off my list of places to see.... I don't do huge (or little for that matter) wasps.

Big dragon flies could be cool though.

Next time get a pic of a huge bug. we all want to see!

Run Foo Run!!!