Monday, November 26, 2007

Honest Abe...


It did not surprise me that they have televangelists here too. Although the Australian versions tend to be not as "polished" as say TBN, 700 Club or any other American "god" channels. I noticed they don't have the phone number at the bottom of the screen constantly scrolling, urging the flock to call in and drop a twenty for a prayer. This makes me wonder if theirs are actually in it for saving souls and helping others. Probably not but I think this one was...

Now, I only have four channels right now and being hung over from the debauchery of the company Christmas party I had little energy for anything else. I hope you can understand my actually watching these programs but I find I don't have to excuse this particular show. I was fascinated by it.

If it wasn't so plain I would not get it. They all dress like they just woke up on the set of Little House and they sing (rather badly) to the droning of a cheap organ grinder. They will sing their hymn, in this case "Little Donkey" then the camera will cut and they will occupy new positions in the church pews while one of the fellows gets behind a plywood podium and gives a modest sermon. His sermons were simple and direct and thankfully short.

That completed, they ran back to the choir and "hit play"" on the VHS camera and burst into "O' Come All Ye Faithful" in an unstable D minor. There will be no Australian Idols out of this group for sure.
The whole thing is done on what I am guessing are two 1980's era VHS recorders and no operators. When they switch positions, you can see the residual motion of the camera as it moves slightly from the pressure of being turned on. After the camera is switched on, one of the performers jumps back into frame to join the others. On one camera cut the older woman on the left just about took out one of her plants.


At least they are honest and humble and I will raise my glass to that.





3 comments:

Gina Kadlec said...

You moved all that way and got saved to boot! Amen Brother!

Nick Vona said...

not quite saved... more of a morbid fascination with really bad production quality...

Alana Neufeld said...

Nick, are you sure it wasn't a movie starring Eugene Levy, Fred Willard and Parker Posey? Seems like I've seen that one.

mom