Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Everything Wild 3...





I am walking to work this morning and I happened to look in the yard of a house I was passing.

Take a look at what I saw.

There were some bushes out in front with the biggest spider web I have ever seen. Then I noticed what was on the web, about ten of the BIGGEST SPIDERS I have ever seen. The thing was teeming with them. I have never seen anything like it and i don't want to see anything else like it. I hate bugs!

I pulled out the camera for a picture or two, from a safe distance. I thought about how I don't think I would ever want to be a gardener here.



I have possibly identified it as a White Tail Spider or Lampona cylindrata. It is not supposed to be deadly but it does have a toxic bite.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/white_tailed_spider.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tailed_spider


Man, that's messed up...




6 comments:

Alana Neufeld said...

The good news is, White Tail Spiders eat other spiders. Looks like they could pretty much eat anything in their path.

By the way, their bite doesn't have to be deadly---you'll die of fright first.

mom

studobbs said...

hey nick, good to see you're acquainting yourself with the local wildlife... Those look like Golden Orb spiders, it's the funnel webs you wanna watch out for ;-)

i highly recommend the book "Wildlife of Greater Brisbane", it became my trusted text for all things creepy-crawly, has really useful info like how much you need to panic if the bugger bites you...

http://www.amonline.net.au/shop/product.cfm?ItemID=NB136


s.

Nick Vona said...

whatever the hell kind of spiders... they still look freaky...and there were like 10-15 of the bastards in the tree too...


thanks for the read

Ken and Marie said...

you are "Man vs. Wild"

Gina Kadlec said...

Bear has nothing on Les Stroud!!!

Nick, you may want to hold back on the big spider pictures until Mariana is on the plane...

Keep it coming man! I love this website!

gio said...

dude go to the coolangata zoo...check out a wombat and tasmanian devil...then go surf the river mouth point.