Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Sunshine Coast: Maroocheeydore

In my rented car I headed out of Brisbane on the M1 to The Sunshine Coast to look for surf, explore, and just get used to this whole driving thing. I can tell you this much, I can die now and say I have been to the promised land.
The Sunshine Coast is about an hour north of Brissie and stretches from Caloundra in the south to Noosa in the north. I can tell you that it is littered with some of the best surf spots on the planet. It is very lush, hot, sub tropical and sparsely populated and very rugged country. I can imagine now what it must have been like for the original "convicts" that were plopped down here in the 1700's it must have been grueling to say the least.
First stop was Maroocheydore (Mah-Roo-Chee-Dore), a small coastal town with a nicely developed city center. It seems to be a popular weekend spot and had a healthy crowd but not hectic or touristy, walking about. The beach of Marroocheydore has a what I have heard a world class left breaking over a shallow shelf, it was wind torn this day and there were jet skis in out the back jumping waves but I will be back again. I was too busy driving to take pictures of the down town and I forgot the camera in the car when I was checking out the surf, sorry. I do have pictures from Kings Beach with Maroocheydore in the distance.

One interesting note: When the M1 Motorway crosses into The Sunshine Coast it becomes The Steve Irwin Motorway which passes by the Zoo he created. You hear his name allot here and I believe Australia considers him a first son. I always liked his shows and loved his conservation efforts.

Steve Irwin R.I.P.

No comments: