Saturday, November 3, 2007

First Surf and New Board for Vona!!!


First surf is under my belt...

I went with some guys from the office to Snapper Rocks this morning. Unfortunatley we got skunked. The wind was blowing hard from the North and chewed the points to bits.

Where I didn't get skunked was in The Board Room in Coolangatta. Generally boards in Australia tend to be a might bit expensive. I was planning on spending about $700.00 or so for a new DHD, Simon Anderson, Burton or other shaper. I found this 6'6" thumb tail in the used rack. From the looks of it, I think it might have been surfed once. Pure white, no preassure dings on the deck, not a blemish, practically a brand new board. I picked it up and with some haggleing I got the board, sock, leash, and two bars of wax, all for $400.00! Savings Galore!

After that we headed to Surfer's Paradise and some good ol' fashioned beach breaks to try it out. It was ok, 4-5 ft, but the wind was up and it was wonky. I could totally see the potential of Australian beach breaks though and the water was around 70 and clear and blue as I have ever seen.

Tomorrow I am renting a car for the first time and if I make it alive, will be hitting Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast. See you there.

5 comments:

Gina Kadlec said...

Oh you are making me homesick for the beach. The beaches in Oregon are beautiful but in a dark, dangerous sort of way... I long for hot sunny days watching the waves roll in while my kids play in the sand...

You are such an adventurer... a pioneer... go where no man has gone before Nick Vona... just keep posting on your blog. I must admit it's a highlight of my day and I am saddened when you skip a day.

Your loving sister.

gio said...

they don't get consistent morning glass like we do here in cali...more like 11 am glass...but aren't you at work at that time? Dude HUGE NEWS! E-mail me.

werd.

Ken and Marie said...

yea Nick, huge news, email Gio!!!

from my trip there, if its blowing onshore at one spot, its blowing off shore around the corner at another spot.
Find yourself a good map or a local to tell you were the morning surf is.

I remember Byron being blown out, but if your travel 15 miles south, its was glass.

Nick Vona said...

Hey Gina!!!

Thanks for the devoted readership. I am glad someone out there is getting all this. This place is absolutely amazing. I am getting ready for a new post or two that you will like. I know what you mean about Oregon beaches, Northern California beaches were the same, dark and dangerous although Oregon's are probably spectacular.

Keep on reading...

Nick Vona said...

Byron is a bit south of where im at... I was with another guy (who was driving) and he's git a wife and kid. I suggested we go to D'Bah but he didn't have time. Now that I am driving I'll be getting out more.

I'll keep you posted...